16 Dec, 2009, Orrin wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
David Haley said:
One of MUSHclient's "problems" is that it tends to assume that the server is behaving correctly. If a server sends the telnet echo-off instruction, MUSHclient will stop saving history on the presumption that you're entering passwords or other sensitive information. The consequence is that if the server forgets to turn echo back on, MUSHclient will (by default) stop saving command history.

Yes I had the same problem on FMud with password hiding on some servers.

(I added an instructional Paxman youtube link for you non Brits).
16 Dec, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 22nd comment:
Twisol said:
It does by default. Did you, perhaps, enable "No command echo" at the bottom of the Display menu dropdown?

I don't have a MushClient problem.
I just want to know the arcane incantation to set the UP arrow key to recall the command history.
It's a simple question.
16 Dec, 2009, Koron wrote in the 23rd comment:
You don't set it to up, it starts that way. Are you even paying the slightest bit of attention?
16 Dec, 2009, Twisol wrote in the 24th comment:
David Haley said:
Which part of "it's the default" is unclear to you, Tyche?
16 Dec, 2009, Koron wrote in the 25th comment:
On second thought, I have decided that Tyche is trying to be clever in indicating that the default for whatever program he's discussing is also up, but that still completely ignores the fact that there have been not one but two terminal commands previously posted in order to set keys as macros, while the same thing is possible by even the most ignorant buffoon in mushclient (and most other popular mud clients) by going through *gasp!* an options screen.

Edit: Oops. I see now that it's actually three posts with these, not two. I apologize for my mistake.
16 Dec, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 26th comment:
Koron said:
You don't set it to up, it starts that way. Are you even paying the slightest bit of attention?

I want to set the UP key to recall history. Are you really paying attention to the question?
17 Dec, 2009, Koron wrote in the 27th comment:
I don't know how to make UP open the command history window in mushclient, but maybe you could just hit Ctrl+H like the happy menu suggests and then not have to worry about it.

(Edited to remove non-G rated language.)
17 Dec, 2009, Orrin wrote in the 28th comment:
Tyche, I think people are trying to answer you in good faith so perhaps you should either reframe your question so they can provide a better answer or just go ahead and make whatever wider point you have.
17 Dec, 2009, Twisol wrote in the 29th comment:
Tyche said:
I want to set the UP key to recall history.

To be clear… by this, I'm pretty sure we are all assuming you mean "push up to load the input bar with the previous command. Push up multiple times to retrieve increasingly older commands." If this is the case, it is the default. If it doesn't behave as advertised, see my points A and B above which may be causing the issue.

If this is not what you mean, I think we would all be very happy if you would explain what you do mean.
17 Dec, 2009, Davion wrote in the 30th comment:
I think he wants to know how to set the UP key to recall the history… I don't get why it's confusing :P. Say, for instance, that the default has been changed. How would one change the 'UP' key back to display the history. I think he's specifically asking how to bind that key to something like the display history (I doubt specifically what you bind the up key too, matters). I think it has a lot to do with DH's recent have-nothing-good-to-say-about-tt++ posts ;).

However… I could be thinking too much ;)
17 Dec, 2009, Twisol wrote in the 31st comment:
The only way I can think of to change it explicitly, off the top of my head, is to use an Accelerator() function call to set the up arrow key to execute some other action. If that were the case, one could (a) remove the offending Accelerator() call and/or (b) reset the key to the default by using a second Accelerator() call with an empty action.

As you can see, it requires a little 'arcane incantation' to set the up arrow key to a different function in the first place, so it shouldn't be wrong to expect something similar to revert it.
17 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 32nd comment:
If the question is "how does one bind arbitrary keys to arbitrary functions", it should be stated as such; if the question is "how does one set the 'up arrow' to recall history", that question has been answered several times (which is why the repeated question is confusing if you are feeling charitable, and trolling/obnoxious if you aren't).

Key bindings can be done through various means; accelerators are an example. One can do an awful lot of things if one desires to delve into the scripting language. Without a more precise question, it's hard to give a more precise answer.

I insist yet again that my original comment has nothing whatsoever to do with MUSHclient. I wasn't trying to draw a comparison with MUSHclient. I am not entirely sure of the motivations for turning this into some kind of MUSHclient bashing fest. My statement is quite simple: I find that many command-line tools expect the user to develop a certain familiarity with their workings before being able to do things that one might expect as simple, default features. Many GUI clients (not just MUSHclient, for crying out loud) have a tendency to provide more default settings that match the environment's behavior.

For the record, I use tt++ as a CLI client when I don't have a GUI client available. I think I have the right to not like some of its behavior or features, especially considering that I speak from direct, personal experience.
17 Dec, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 33rd comment:
Like Davion, I think Tyche's question was pretty clear. I understand that the command history defaults to the UP key. If it had been set to something else though, how would you set it to the UP key? What he was getting at is pretty clear to, it takes some strange manipulations and arcane gestures to do it. Aside from that, I agree that GUI clients come with more assumptions about the behavior you want in a client. So I get your point to, DH =)
17 Dec, 2009, Twisol wrote in the 34th comment:
Mmk, CB kindly explained Tyche's question to me, since I guess I just wasn't understanding the context. I was assuming it was based on the reality of how MUSHclient operates, but it may be that Tyche was speaking theoretically. Since it wasn't mentioned in the first place, or any time after, my thinking was obviously constrained by my 'real' experience with MUSHclient. (Since command history is a given in reality, the analogy I used was "like bending a joint in the wrong direction" - it's just incomprehensible)

Assuming only that UP and DOWN had no effect, there would indeed probably be some arcane operations in order to navigate the command history. Given the current (real) scripting interface, there would need to be some slightly elaborate scripting involved, involving maintaining a 'history pointer' to track the current position in the history, hooking UP/DOWN to move it, and OnPluginCommandEntered to reset it. Of course, if command history was really disabled by default, I would expect the interface (theoretical) to have either a GUI toggle or a scripting function to set it - just like tintin++. When it comes down to it, Tyche's question is inherently client-specific. Another GUI client, besides MUSHclient, might have a completely different way to handle command history, and it would have a different answer.

If we are just arguing the method, rather than the actual goal involved, then I would say this: CLI clients typically have only one way to accept user input: the command line. For that very reason, pretty much everything has to be shoehorned into commands or external files. GUI clients, however, also accept mouse input, which means not everything must be a command. I'm not arguing that GUI clients are inherently better than CLI clients, but for the most part, they have much more opportunity to be easily configured.

CB: For what it's worth, I don't think it's a far cry to say that CLI clients make the same kinds of assumptions. But they're also somewhat limited by their environment of choice - the terminal - so I would imagine there's not quite as much to configure. (Please, correct me if I'm wrong.)
17 Dec, 2009, Koron wrote in the 35th comment:
The amount of arguing that has gone on in this thread merely in an attempt to figure out wtf Tyche really wanted to know is inexcusable. Sadly, considering how far this thread has descended, I won't be the least bit surprised to find out that his question is still unanswered.

@Tyche: Seriously, dude. You should've just rephrased your question so that it wasn't a bare repetition. If people didn't understand what you meant the first time, why on Earth would you think they would get it the fourth time?
17 Dec, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 36th comment:
CLI clients do for sure, make some assumptions in the form of default settings. For instance, you have a default FONT, FONTSIZE…and…uh……hmm….Oh the…

Anyways, having a more "basic" interface, they do have less need for INTERFACE configuration. There are a plethora of other things you may configure, if you so desire. Scripting/triggers/aliases and so on. You can also configure shortcut keys and like.
17 Dec, 2009, Twisol wrote in the 37th comment:
QFT, Koron! :biggrin:

CB: *laughs* Yeah. The thing about graphical clients is that (a) they have the potential to really be awesome, but (b) they're usually much more complex beasts. Comes with the territory… the best you can do is hide the complexity from the user, which usually involves making assumptions. A tricky balancing act, that.
17 Dec, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 38th comment:
David Haley said:
If the question is "how does one bind arbitrary keys to arbitrary functions", it should be stated as such; if the question is "how does one set the 'up arrow' to recall history", that question has been answered several times (which is why the repeated question is confusing if you are feeling charitable, and trolling/obnoxious if you aren't).

Saying "It's the default" is not really an answer. It's a statement which may prevent the need for an answer, but suppose someone has rebound the up arrow key to do something else, and wants to reset it back without affecting any OTHER configuration?

Key bindings can be done through various means; accelerators are an example. One can do an awful lot of things if one desires to delve into the scripting language. Without a more precise question, it's hard to give a more precise answer.

How does one EXPLICITLY set the up arrow key sequence to invoke whatever function recalls the last command line history entry? That's pretty precise.

I am not entirely sure of the motivations for turning this into some kind of MUSHclient bashing fest.

I know nothing about that, and came in after the fur was already flying. I am, however, curious to see the result of a direct, no-smack-talk, no wombling, no hyperbole, comparison of the three clients on the table.

Tinyfugue's arcane command is /def -ib'^
Tinyfugue's arcane command is /def -ib'^[OA' = /DOKEY RECALLB
Tintin's arcane command is #macro {\eOA} {#cursor history prev}
Mushclient's command is ???
[/code]

Someone, I don't give a rat's ass who, please fill in the blank so the answer is archived for anyone who might, in the future, want to know!

Twisol's reply makes it appear that there IS no command, or sequence of commands, which will accomplish this, however it's vague enough that I'd like to be sure that's true before declaring the comparison impossible.
17 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 39th comment:
Quixadhal said:
Saying "It's the default" is not really an answer. It's a statement which may prevent the need for an answer

There's something interesting about asking questions that have no need for answers, isn't there?

Quixadhal said:
Twisol's reply makes it appear that there IS no command

Twisol already said that you use accelerators. Specifically, you can issue the command:
/Accelerator("Up", "/DoCommand 'PreviousCommand'")

which should work if I remember the default scripting prefix correctly. Note that I have not tested the above.

I insist (yet again, lest people forget the initial point here) that this is irrelevant to my initial comment, which had to do with CLI programs (not just MUD clients, incidentally) tend to assume too much about the user's willingness to RTFM to get an expected experience.

Incidentally, we only enter into this strange hypothetical scenario with MUSHclient when somebody has gone out of their way to re-bind the 'up arrow' key, so we're no longer talking about newbie users in the first place – another reason why this is not relevant to the initial comment. Somewhat arcane commands are ok if you're talking about people who are quite willing to RTFM.
17 Dec, 2009, Twisol wrote in the 40th comment:
Actually, as I've said before, if someone has merely rebound the key, and we're not talking about a wholesale "UP/DOWN never did it in the first place", you'd just do this:

/Accelerator("Up", "")

which would reset Up to default. It's rather pointless to debate how MUSHclient would do something like this, when the fact is that MUSHclient would have to work differently for the question to make any sense. Working strictly within the bounds of reality, it's dead-simple to set Up/Down to command history:

Twisol said:
one could (a) remove the offending Accelerator() call and/or (b) reset the key to the default by using a second Accelerator() call with an empty action.

And if we're making preconditions like "Lets say that UP/DOWN never did do command history, what then?", then it's not worth asking the question, because it's no longer a MUSHclient question but a hypothetical client design question. I've stated several times two solutions, where one (remval of UP/DOWN with absolutely no changes elsewhere in MUSHclient) would only possibly happen if the author was a dunce (which he is most certainly not), and the other (GUI toggle or scripting infrastructure to allow it due to the change to/lack of UP/DOWN) reflecting what I honestly believe would have happened. But again, this is pure speculation, and I maintain that it is pointless to drive the question so hard.

David: There's no default scripting prefix, but you'd be better off with AcceleratorTo("Up", 'stuff', 12) in order to send directly to script; plus, it looks like it's not as simple (note to others: within current MUSHclient reality) to navigate the command history without maintaining a 'history pointer' yourself to remember where you are in the history. (note to others: I maintain that Accelerators and 'history pointers' would only conceivably be required in version 1 of the theoretical solution, where the author is assumed to be a dunce. :P)
20.0/79