18 Feb, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Try minGW instead? Basically you're going to need some sort of server-like atmosphere to run the mud on. I'm not sure how to do this in Windows without some kind of interface like minGW/Cygwin. Someone else here might though? *peers about*
18 Feb, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 22nd comment:
It is also pretty well known that I ported Merc 2.2 to Windows. I'm afraid I must admit it isn't a very good port. I did it so that I could test area files and server tweaks at home and although I have had four people connected to it at once, it is more designed for catching area file errors than being a bullet-proof server. Sure, with Windows NT and a few minor bug fixes you could run a MUD on Windows, but all of the Merc admin stuff is designed for a machine which you can telnet into and do things with. I'm sure someone will make the necessary tweaks to run Merc on Windows properly, with automated install and administration through the control panel and stuff, but no one has done that yet.

This is taken from here, and Smaug/SmaugFUSS is of course a derivative of Merc. CoffeeMUD is written in Java, so it could feasibly be worked on in Windows just fine. You would still need to convert your Windows box to a server, which isn't very safe for your computer, nor is it very stable when compared to Linux/Unix.
18 Feb, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 23rd comment:
jurdendurden said:
so could be worked on in Windows just fine, you would still need to convert your Windows box to a server, which isn't very safe for your computer, nor is it very stable when compared to Linux/Unix.

Frankly, for development purposes, you're probably quite fine using Windows. You wouldn't want your actual desktop to also be your game host, but really you wouldn't want that with a Linux box, either.
18 Feb, 2010, Runter wrote in the 24th comment:
Unrivaledneo said:
Ill take a look at smaug, there much support for newbies like me here at mudbyte? Seems to be the only really active MUD design forums i have seen.

Yes, there's support here for new MUD designers. Most of us are even willing to help with language specific problems. You'll find, though, that people are readily available to give advice to those who really are looking for critique–And not so quick to help if you're just wanting affirmation.
18 Feb, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 25th comment:
Unrivaledneo said:
there a way to do it without using it?

Yes. Almost every C/C++ mud can be easily ported to run on Windows using practically any of the windows compilers.
However I wouldn't know what to tell someone who hasn't programmed in C/C++.

I maintain a few Windows ports of muds over here.
18 Feb, 2010, Unrivaledneo wrote in the 26th comment:
Well I dont plan on running the server on my own PC i got a Server box I host my 2D mmo on. I will take a look at everything when I get off work tonight, thanks again.
18 Feb, 2010, Lyanic wrote in the 27th comment:
Unrivaledneo said:
i got a Server box I host my 2D mmo on.

More details, please?
18 Feb, 2010, Unrivaledneo wrote in the 28th comment:
I got my own windows based server I have connect to the net for hosting purposes. Few years ago finished a 2D mmo written in VB6 called Sacred Lands :p a Horror MMO. GUess it was more of just a ORPG only had about 30 players on at any given time lol. That was all windows based.

I just hate linux, never could understand it or maybe just dont want to but im trying again. I downloaded Cygwin and Smaugfuss 1.9 and found a tut here Though i can never get it to do what i want, im sure ill mess around with it more after work.
18 Feb, 2010, Lyanic wrote in the 29th comment:
Unrivaledneo said:
I got my own windows based server I have connect to the net for hosting purposes. Few years ago finished a 2D mmo written in VB6 called Sacred Lands :p a Horror MMO. GUess it was more of just a ORPG only had about 30 players on at any given time lol. That was all windows based.

I was hoping for more details on the game itself. Is it still running?
18 Feb, 2010, DemonAlucard wrote in the 30th comment:
Yea, would like to know more about this 2d mmo.
18 Feb, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 31st comment:
I think this is it…. Sacred Lands
18 Feb, 2010, Unrivaledneo wrote in the 32nd comment:
jurdendurden said:
I think this is it…. Sacred Lands

Wow forgot about that site haha. But that was it, before I deployed we were working on converting everything into 3d via tv3d and vbgore. The team disbanded after I left for iraq. Hince why I wanted to start a mud don't have to worry about graphics .

Sacred Lands was a post apocolyptic game set after a war that wipped out most of the human race. Thegame started off as you awake from a cryo sleep that you were put in to perserve human life on earth. We had a good community and a great running game.
18 Feb, 2010, Lyanic wrote in the 33rd comment:
Unrivaledneo said:
We had a good community and a great running game.

Why not anymore? I want to play…maybe…if I have time…which I probably don't…but it sounds cool…I can has?
18 Feb, 2010, Unrivaledneo wrote in the 34th comment:
Have been thinking about getting back into, just hard to find a dedicated team for these kinda projects, I can only do so much and graphics, sprites… ain't my thing. But if I do ill be sure to let everyone know
19 Feb, 2010, Unrivaledneo wrote in the 35th comment:
For some reason wont let me edit my topics… was hoping someone with some sence could help me walk though getting started with SmaugFUSS/AFKmud (both look really good) via IM or something idk if im using cygwin wrong or what?
19 Feb, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 36th comment:
What happens when you try to start them up?
19 Feb, 2010, Kline wrote in the 37th comment:
Lyanic said:
Unrivaledneo said:

Why not anymore? I want to play…maybe…if I have time…which I probably don't…but it sounds cool…I can has?

It looks interesting from the page; are the graphics stock stuff provided with that vbGore system or your own (prior) team's work?
19 Feb, 2010, Runter wrote in the 38th comment:
If it wasn't in VB I might would consider looking at it further. :)
19 Feb, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 39th comment:
Kline said:
Lyanic said:
Unrivaledneo said:

It looks interesting from the page; are the graphics stock stuff provided with that vbGore system or your own (prior) team's work?

Pretty sure they didn't make these graphics, as I've seen them before here.
19 Feb, 2010, Unrivaledneo wrote in the 40th comment:
Those are graphics that came with the demo map, sacred lands however has original graphics music items etc etc we didn't use anything that came with vbgore instead of the barebone base system..

When I get home tonight will post my problems I got with cygwin
20.0/55