16 Apr, 2013, GSamurai wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hi

First question:
I have a new DS3 mud going on,
I want to bring in a second Creator:
How do I find my public address/Do I have to set it up or is it live automatically out of the box?
(I know it's port 6666)

Second question:
I am about to start building a new domain, can I build it in my work space and move it over into its own domain later or should I createdomain right off the bat and build it in its permanent location?
I assume you can do either because not everyone will be a full admin, and only full admins can edit live areas as far as I know, so specifically:
Can I just build non-connected areas in my workspace and move them into a new domain when it's time (and how)?

Third question:
I have built a room that I then deleted. how do I delete the entrance? (I currently have a southern exit from my workspace that basically just adds a bunch of crap to the error log).

Thanks!
16 Apr, 2013, Exodus wrote in the 2nd comment:
For the first question, that depends on if you're hosting it on your own box. If so, google "what's my ip". It will tell you what your public IP is.
If you have a router, set it to allow port forwarding to the IP of the machine it's running on. You may have to specify protocol (telnet) and the port (6666).
If you don't have a router, ensure your machine allows incoming telnet traffic on port 6666. You may have to modify any firewall software you're running.

No clue about the second and third questions.
16 Apr, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 3rd comment:
An LPMUD tries to mimic the unix shell environment in many ways.

While Dead Souls has a "qcs" system for doing OLC, I can't comment on how it works as I don't use it. :)

I can tell you, the normal old-school way of building areas is to use your local editor to create and edit new room files (often copied from an existing room for boilerplate), and then use the "update" command in the game to "load/compile/whatever" it.

You can build in your private workspace and move it later, but you may need to take a few precautions to make that process easier.
For example:

static void create() {
string this_area = "";
//…
room::create();
this_area = implode(rexplode(file_name(this_object()), "/")[0..<3], "/");

SetClimate("indoors");
SetAmbientLight(30);
SetShort("Common Room");
//…
SetExits( ([
"north" : this_area + "/rooms/kitchen",
"south" : this_area + "/rooms/back_room",
"east" : this_area + "/rooms/hallway1",
"west" : "/realms/quixadhal/workroom",
]) );
SetDoor("west", this_area + "/doors/common_room");
}

Note the use of this_area as a prefix, rather than hard-coding "/w/realms/quixadhal/Shylar/TradeDistrict/GriffinsTale".
So, in theory, if this room were moved to /d/Shylar/rooms/common_room.c, all the exits that pointed to other rooms in the same area would also look in the same relative place.

There are different ways to do it. Maybe QCS is smart enough to rewrite them if you move them using the QCS system.

This also addresses question 3. I don't know if there's a QCS command to do this, but the old-school way would be to go edit the other room, find the SetExits or AddExit functions, and remove the offending one, and then update it.
0.0/3