12 Jul, 2007, Dorian wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Metsuro said:
Alright I dont remember if I asked this or not, but I was just recently told that xp home doesn't support dual core processors?

No, you can. I ran an XP home on a P4 HT for couple of years before I switched it to Linux. Now I'm running XP Media Edition on a dual core AMD 64 and Vista on a Intel duo. No problems. AFAIK, all of them also have the capability to utilize multiple processors. If you are concerned about using dual core, I'd worry more about the software you are using than the OS.
12 Jul, 2007, Metsuro wrote in the 22nd comment:
its not really that its just complaing about the partian on the hard drive i placed in it, which has windows xp home, and the it restarts and trys again
12 Jul, 2007, Metsuro wrote in the 23rd comment:
If it aint one problem its another…
12 Jul, 2007, Tyche wrote in the 24th comment:
Justice said:
The most glaring difference I've found is they removed the UI for configuring the folder/file security. In Pro you have to uncheck a folder option (simple sharing I believe) in order to access the permissions. Obviously home has the capability, since the system designated user accounts have folder/file security. I'm sure there are ways to configure this security manually or through third party utilities… but since I have access to pro through work, I've never had to sort through it.

CACLS and XCACLS are command line tools you can get off the MS site to adminstrate XP home (and professional) security. I actually prefer them to the GUI.
12 Jul, 2007, Tyche wrote in the 25th comment:
Metsuro said:
So professional would just be a bit better but not to much?

It's more $$ for a few more GUI tools that you probably don't need anyway. As far as running home grown server applications (MUDS), Home is not crippled in any way. Some commercial software are intentionally crippled on XP home.

P.S. Unless of course the mud you plan on running is dependent on said crippled software (i.e. using IIS, DB2 or other commercial databases and servers).
13 Jul, 2007, Justice wrote in the 26th comment:
Tyche said:
CACLS and XCACLS are command line tools you can get off the MS site to adminstrate XP home (and professional) security. I actually prefer them to the GUI.

Heh, somehow it doesn't surprise me that you need to download them. Personally, I've found a disturbing trend in MS software to make it more difficult to handle basic configuration. Yeah, I prefer command line tools too.
20.0/26