12 Jun, 2010, frostmud wrote in the 41st comment:
Votes: 0
crat, you are one of the best users i had. i was sorry to see you go when i went through that "i dont know what the hell to do phase"

i appreciate the shoutout. take care bud.
12 Jun, 2010, Brinson wrote in the 42nd comment:
I had a mud with Frostmud for about 2 years and I have to say that the quality was superb. Unless someone wants to go all out with a VPS/Dedicated server, then I would reccomend Frostmud. Not only is it great for getting your mud and up going for free, but the paid plans are a pretty good value, and will be alot cheaper than Dedicated/VPS on a managed solution.
12 Jun, 2010, Zeno wrote in the 43rd comment:
I did try to go through Zeno for a bit but after one PM through Mudbytes, (which he did respond to a couple of days later), I was apparently forgotten?

Late, just noticed this. Yeah, I do that sometimes. I'm behind as it is now, just got back from Vegas.
12 Jun, 2010, Chris Bailey wrote in the 44th comment:
When I wanted to try out Zenos service he responded quickly and had me all ready to go in no time. I didn't use his services extensively by any means, but they seemed rock solid.
13 Jun, 2010, Runter wrote in the 45th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
When I wanted to try out Zenos service he responded quickly and had me all ready to go in no time. I didn't use his services extensively by any means, but they seemed rock solid.

That's cause you're of high profile clientle. When I applied I was rejected.
13 Jun, 2010, Chris Bailey wrote in the 46th comment:
Aw. What hosting solution do you use anyhow, Runter?
13 Jun, 2010, Runter wrote in the 47th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
Aw. What hosting solution do you use anyhow, Runter?

Linode. I wouldn't use a first generation hosting solution these days.
13 Jun, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 48th comment:
What's considered first generation?
13 Jun, 2010, Runter wrote in the 49th comment:
Idealiad said:
What's considered first generation?

telnet/ssh into a shared box.
13 Jun, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 50th comment:
Yeah, if I ever have a reason other than 'it'd be cool' I have my VPS all picked out ;). What would be nice is a tutorial here that explains in a mud-centric way how to go about setting up a simple VPS…there are plenty of general tutorials out there but I'm sure there are some important points to consider for hosting mud servers in particular.
13 Jun, 2010, Runter wrote in the 51st comment:
It's extremely simple to set up a linode account and have your stuff up and running in minutes. It only takes the very basic knowledge of how to use the platform OS you pick. If the 20 bucks a month is too heavy for your hosting needs you might look at fivebean. It's about 5 bucks a month for more than most mud hosts basic packages offer. Probably far more.
19 Sep, 2010, Rojan QDel wrote in the 52nd comment:
If anyone is still wondering, YourMUD.net offers some cheap and pretty high-powered packages, our lowest is:
1gb Disk Space
5gb Bandwidth
3 MUD Ports
Unlimited E-Mails
Unlimited Mailing Lists
5 Shell Accounts
5 Subdomains
10 MySQL Databases
Two months free with an annual subscription!
https://www.moocowpenguin.net/billing/ca...
20 Sep, 2010, Quarlash wrote in the 53rd comment:
I'd also like to toss in a quick bit of praise for Hostgator. They've hosted me for quite some time. Their Website Hosting seems to have good uptime (As per the norm, it's shared resource hosting), and I've enjoyed having a VPS with them (Though on the VPS note, they don't offer support on the smaller packages).

I have to say, having a live chat option on their website for support has made me very happy too (Though their support doesn't cover entry-level VPS packages). Never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes to speak with someone over their live chat, and it's always been solid service.

On the note of a VPS, they can be very simple or very complex, as well as very secure or very insecure. My personal favourite part is (Depending on the service provider and management software) a web based IPTables UI. IPTables are a saviour in a drop-all setup (Though that's certainly not an excuse to be lazy with security.. /whistles innocently).
40.0/53