01 Aug, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
flumpy said:
Well I am seriously considering boycotting this site because of this, which makes me sad, cause I like this site.

I wasn't able to post my reply before the seemingly inevitable thread-lock, so as I was going to say before perhaps it might be better for someone to set up a new site to replace Mudbytes, flumpy, rather than go the boycott route (unless that is in itself a boycott).

Edit: Unless there already is one and I'm just not aware of it, in which case, can someone post a link?
01 Aug, 2009, Koron wrote in the 2nd comment:
And make sure the link goes in before the lock.
01 Aug, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 3rd comment:
Yay!

Fragmenting the community over bruised egos and a refusal to acknowledge authority and work within the rules!

Yeah, that always works well… Why not just admit that this community doesn't WANT to make any real progress, and would rather keep rehashing the same things we've been rehashing since the "Golden Era of MUDs" in the early 1990's?

THIS is the reason people are still running games on software that's almost TWENTY YEARS OLD. How can we get down to the serious business of arguing with each other over the best way to write new things, if we can't get over arguing with each other over how we're supposed to argue???

/sigh.

inb4lockb4crat.
01 Aug, 2009, flumpy wrote in the 4th comment:
Lobotomy said:
perhaps it might be better for someone to set up a new site to replace Mudbytes, flumpy, rather than go the boycott route (unless that is in itself a boycott).

Do you mean me?? I could do, possibly, but I really don't have the time or the inclination I'm afraid. Not visiting the site altogether seems like a valid, if not unhappy, option to me.
01 Aug, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 5th comment:
in b4v lock lol
01 Aug, 2009, flumpy wrote in the 6th comment:
quixadhal said:
Yay!

Fragmenting the community over bruised egos and a refusal to acknowledge authority and work within the rules!

What rules were broken pray tell?

in b4lock just after crat
01 Aug, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 7th comment:
quixadhal said:
Yay!

Yeah, that always works well… Why not just admit that this community doesn't WANT to make any real progress, and would rather keep rehashing the same things we've been rehashing since the "Golden Era of MUDs" in the early 1990's?

THIS is the reason people are still running games on software that's almost TWENTY YEARS OLD. How can we get down to the serious business of arguing with each other over the best way to write new things, if we can't get over arguing with each other over how we're supposed to argue???

/sigh.

inb4lockb4crat.

It's the history of mankind, not just MUDs. Some people don't want to have to put up with a tyrant. I'd argue that trying to put up with someone in a position of power who isn't willing to be reasonable is far less productive.

flumpy said:
Do you mean me?? I could do, possibly, but I really don't have the time or the inclination I'm afraid. Not visiting the site altogether seems like a valid, if not unhappy, option to me.

I don't mean anyone in specific; just whoever wants to take it upon themselves, really.
01 Aug, 2009, Kline wrote in the 8th comment:
What has happened since this post and this post?
01 Aug, 2009, Koron wrote in the 9th comment:
quixadhal said:

This leads me to the heart of the problem. A community is a collaboration of peers. It is not a dictatorship. It does not require a rigid hierarchy. The feelings of an actual community are determined by the entirety of its constituents, not by a single individual within it.
01 Aug, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 10th comment:
quixadhal said:
How can we get down to the serious business of arguing with each other over the best way to write new things, if we can't get over arguing with each other over how we're supposed to argue???

Well the process is derailed by the problem at this site, so perhaps another site makes sense.
I don't normally agree with Lobotomy much, but the premise is not unsound.

-Crat
01 Aug, 2009, flumpy wrote in the 11th comment:
As an aside, before this does get locked, I was actually thinking of creating a mud agreggator with grails, much like Mud Reading. I'm not too happy with mud reading, there are some things that don't gel with me.

Maybe one day i'll get around to it.
01 Aug, 2009, flumpy wrote in the 12th comment:
Kline said:
What has happened since [url=http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=topi...
p12026]this post and this post?

I guess this must be one of them thar "future blow ups" …
01 Aug, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 13th comment:
flumpy said:
As an aside, before this does get locked, I was actually thinking of creating a mud agreggator with grails, much like Mud Reading. I'm not too happy with mud reading, there are some things that don't gel with me.

Maybe one day i'll get around to it.

Just curious what doesn't gel. I don't think Greg is working too actively on mud reading but I'm interested in any feedback.
01 Aug, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 14th comment:
Lobotomy said:
It's the history of mankind, not just MUDs. Some people don't want to have to put up with a tyrant. I'd argue that trying to put up with someone in a position of power who isn't willing to be reasonable is far less productive.

Perhaps so, but that doesn't stop the vast majority of corporations from making advances.

I don't know about the rest of you, but *I* have had to bow to the whims of whatever "tin-plated dictator with delusions of godhood" has been in charge from the day I first went to Kindergarden, to the day I was last employed.

If someone wants to go to the effort to host, build, and maintain another site, nobody will stop you from doing so. But all it will accomplish is to dilute an already segmented community even further, as people drift about aimlessly looking for a utopia that will never exist.

/shrug
01 Aug, 2009, Runter wrote in the 15th comment:
quixadhal said:
Perhaps so, but that doesn't stop the vast majority of corporations from making advances.
/shrug

Shrug indeed. Corporations don't share trade secrets, resources, or ideas. This example seems to actually be a counter-point to your original complaint about fracturing the community.
01 Aug, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 16th comment:
Why isn't this locked yet? This discussion is absurd! =)

(Even I'm nb4lock!)
02 Aug, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 17th comment:
Lobotomy said:
flumpy said:
Well I am seriously considering boycotting this site because of this, which makes me sad, cause I like this site.

I wasn't able to post my reply before the seemingly inevitable thread-lock, so as I was going to say before perhaps it might be better for someone to set up a new site to replace Mudbytes, flumpy, rather than go the boycott route (unless that is in itself a boycott).

Edit: Unless there already is one and I'm just not aware of it, in which case, can someone post a link?

lawl. That was how MudBytes got formed.
02 Aug, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 18th comment:
You know, maybe if everyone would quit goading the administration here with the ridiculously childish "nb4lock lol roflcopter so 1337!" bullshit, then maybe some of this discussion could actually be taken seriously.

It wouldn't surprise me the least bit if every instance of that is looked as little more than a dare for the threads to be locked. It's childish, inane, and is in no way constructive. If you want to be treated like adults, try acting like one. Every person and every post that is containing this crap looks like just a troll post aimed at goading the administration.

As far as "another site" feel free to take your discussions to The MUD Connector, where there is next to no moderation and tends to be the safe haven for those who don't like moderation and want to be free from "tyrants." There is an expected minimum level of behavior and conduct here that I think has become pretty clear over the years, and I think the bullying that we saw with Dubstack, Samson's numerous warnings about leaving that be and not dragging it into other threads being ignored, him being taunted, and this continued "lol nb4lock" crap that we've seen over the last couple of weeks doesn't speak very well of this community, and makes us look like a bunch of immature jackass jackals that will pick on someone both because we can and because there was plenty of backup.

TMC isn't quite the cesspool that it used to be… things have gotten a lot better there (even if quite a bit slower) and I like to think I might have had a bit of a positive influence in that regard, but that's still the go-to place if you want to be able to say just about whatever you want in regards to the MUD Community. Mudbytes has, since its inception, been largely about trying to keep a certain level of decency upheld and I can honestly say that we, as its users, haven't been upholding our end of that partnership.

You want to leave because you can't bully another poster or because threads get locked after the Admins were being goaded and/or ignored on their repeated requests to drop a topic? That's fine by me, I won't miss it.

Maybe we should all consider taking a step back, let cooler heads prevail, and really take a look at the conduct over the last couple of weeks.
02 Aug, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 19th comment:
Koron said:
This leads me to the heart of the problem. A community is a collaboration of peers. It is not a dictatorship.

Well said. +10.

Rulez
1) You can start troll threads. It just has to be admitted on IMC where site admins can chuckle about it.
2) No mention of Dubstack allowed.
3) Shitting dick nipples - okay
4) Site admins sharing "heavy flow days" - not okay.
5) You will be banned without warning or explanation.
6) Don't taunt the staff about their hypocrisy.

Did I miss any?
02 Aug, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 20th comment:
Hey Tyche, while you are here….ever notice @memstats in Teensymud apparently adding about 300 new string objects, every time it's called? String objects that don't seem to be garbage collected? =)
0.0/81