<!--X-TopPNI-->

Date:&nbsp;
[&nbsp;<a href="msg00627.html">Previous</a>
&nbsp;|&nbsp;<a href="msg00629.html">Next</a>
&nbsp;]
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Thread:&nbsp;
[&nbsp;<a href="msg00629.html">Previous</a>
&nbsp;|&nbsp;<a href="msg00627.html">Next</a>
&nbsp;]
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Index:&nbsp;
[&nbsp;<A HREF="author.html#00628">Author</A>
&nbsp;|&nbsp;<A HREF="#00628">Date</A>
&nbsp;|&nbsp;<A HREF="thread.html#00628">Thread</A>
&nbsp;]

<!--X-TopPNI-End-->
<!--X-MsgBody-->
<!--X-Subject-Header-Begin-->
<H1>Tutorial: Let's build a Compiler! - Part IV: Interpreters</H1>
<HR>
<!--X-Subject-Header-End-->
<!--X-Head-of-Message-->
<UL>
<LI><em>To</em>: <A HREF="mailto:mud-dev#null,net">mud-dev#null,net</A></LI>
<LI><em>Subject</em>: Tutorial: Let's build a Compiler! - Part IV: Interpreters</LI>
<LI><em>From</em>: "Jon A. Lambert" &lt;<A HREF="mailto:Jon.A.Lambert#ix,netcom.com">Jon.A.Lambert#ix,netcom.com</A>&gt;</LI>
<LI><em>Date</em>: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 18:27:28 -5</LI>
<LI><em>Reply-to</em>: <A HREF="mailto:jlsysinc#ix,netcom.com">jlsysinc#ix,netcom.com</A></LI>
</UL>
<!--X-Head-of-Message-End-->
<!--X-Head-Body-Sep-Begin-->
<HR>
<!--X-Head-Body-Sep-End-->
<!--X-Body-of-Message-->
<PRE>

                     LET'S BUILD A COMPILER!

                                By

                     Jack W. Crenshaw, Ph.D.

                      Part IV: INTERPRETERS

*                                                               *
*                        COPYRIGHT NOTICE                       *
*                                                               *
*   Copyright (C) 1988 Jack W. Crenshaw. All rights reserved.   *
*                                                               *

INTRODUCTION

In the first three installments of this series,  we've  looked at
parsing and  compiling math expressions, and worked our way grad-
ually and methodically from dealing  with  very  simple one-term,
one-character "expressions" up through more general ones, finally
arriving at a very complete parser that could parse and translate
complete  assignment  statements,  with  multi-character  tokens,
embedded white space, and function calls.  This  time,  I'm going
to walk you through the process one more time, only with the goal
of interpreting rather than compiling object code.

Since this is a series on compilers, why should  we  bother  with
interpreters?  Simply because I want you to see how the nature of
the  parser changes as we change the goals.  I also want to unify
the concepts of the two types of translators, so that you can see
not only the differences, but also the similarities.

Consider the assignment statement

               x = 2 * y + 3

In a compiler, we want the target CPU to execute  this assignment
at EXECUTION time.  The translator itself doesn't  do  any arith-
metic ... it only issues the object code that will cause  the CPU
to do it when the code is executed.  For  the  example above, the
compiler would issue code to compute the expression and store the
results in variable x.

For an interpreter,  on  the  other  hand, no object code is gen-
erated.   Instead, the arithmetic is computed immediately, as the
parsing is going on.  For the example, by the time parsing of the
statement is complete, x will have a new value.

The approach we've been  taking  in  this  whole series is called
"syntax-driven translation."  As you are aware by now, the struc-
ture of the  parser  is  very  closely  tied to the syntax of the
productions we parse.  We  have built Pascal procedures that rec-
ognize every language  construct.   Associated with each of these
constructs (and procedures) is  a  corresponding  "action," which
does  whatever  makes  sense to do  once  a  construct  has  been
recognized.    In  our  compiler  so far, every  action  involves
emitting object code, to be executed later at execution time.  In
an interpreter, every action  involves  something  to be done im-
mediately.

What I'd like you to see here is that the  layout  ... the struc-
ture ... of  the  parser  doesn't  change.  It's only the actions
that change.   So  if  you  can  write an interpreter for a given
language, you can also write a compiler, and vice versa.  Yet, as
you  will  see,  there  ARE  differences,  and  significant ones.
Because the actions are different,  the  procedures  that  do the
recognizing end up being written differently.    Specifically, in
the interpreter  the recognizing procedures end up being coded as
FUNCTIONS that return numeric values to their callers.    None of
the parsing routines for our compiler did that.

Our compiler, in fact,  is  what we might call a "pure" compiler.
Each time a construct is recognized, the object  code  is emitted
IMMEDIATELY.  (That's one reason the code is not very efficient.)
The interpreter we'll be building  here is a pure interpreter, in
the sense that there is  no  translation,  such  as "tokenizing,"
performed on the source code.  These represent  the  two extremes
of translation.  In  the  real  world,  translators are rarely so
pure, but tend to have bits of each technique.

I can think of  several  examples.    I've already mentioned one:
most interpreters, such as Microsoft BASIC,  for  example, trans-
late the source code (tokenize it) into an  intermediate  form so
that it'll be easier to parse real time.

Another example is an assembler.  The purpose of an assembler, of
course, is to produce object code, and it normally does that on a
one-to-one basis: one object instruction per line of source code.
But almost every assembler also permits expressions as arguments.
In this case, the expressions  are  always  constant expressions,
and  so the assembler isn't supposed to  issue  object  code  for
them.  Rather,  it  "interprets" the expressions and computes the
corresponding constant result, which is what it actually emits as
object code.

As a matter of fact, we  could  use  a bit of that ourselves. The
translator we built in the  previous  installment  will dutifully
spit out object code  for  complicated  expressions,  even though
every term in  the  expression  is  a  constant.  In that case it
would be far better if the translator behaved a bit more  like an
interpreter, and just computed the equivalent constant result.

There is  a concept in compiler theory called "lazy" translation.
The  idea is that you typically don't just  emit  code  at  every
action.  In fact, at the extreme you don't emit anything  at all,
until  you  absolutely  have to.  To accomplish this, the actions
associated with the parsing routines  typically  don't  just emit
code.  Sometimes  they  do,  but  often  they  simply  return in-
formation back to the caller.  Armed with  such  information, the
caller can then make a better choice of what to do.

For example, given the statement

               x = x + 3 - 2 - (5 - 4)  ,

our compiler will dutifully spit  out a stream of 18 instructions
to load each parameter into  registers,  perform  the arithmetic,
and store the result.  A lazier evaluation  would  recognize that
the arithmetic involving constants can  be  evaluated  at compile
time, and would reduce the expression to

               x = x + 0  .

An  even  lazier  evaluation would then be smart enough to figure
out that this is equivalent to

               x = x  ,

which  calls  for  no  action  at  all.   We could reduce 18  in-
structions to zero!

Note that there is no chance of optimizing this way in our trans-
lator as it stands, because every action takes place immediately.

Lazy  expression  evaluation  can  produce  significantly  better
object code than  we  have  been  able  to  so  far.  I warn you,
though: it complicates the parser code considerably, because each
routine now has to make decisions as to whether  to  emit  object
code or not.  Lazy evaluation is certainly not named that because
it's easier on the compiler writer!

Since we're operating mainly on  the KISS principle here, I won't
go  into much more depth on this subject.  I just want you to  be
aware  that  you  can get some code optimization by combining the
techniques of compiling and  interpreting.    In  particular, you
should know that the parsing  routines  in  a  smarter translator
will generally  return  things  to  their  caller,  and sometimes
expect things as  well.    That's  the main reason for going over
interpretation in this installment.

THE INTERPRETER

OK, now that you know WHY we're going into all this, let's do it.
Just to give you practice, we're going to start over with  a bare
cradle and build up the translator all over again.  This time, of
course, we can go a bit faster.

Since we're now going  to  do arithmetic, the first thing we need
to do is to change function GetNum, which up till now  has always
returned a character  (or  string).    Now, it's better for it to
return an integer.    MAKE  A  COPY of the cradle (for goodness's
sake, don't change the version  in  Cradle  itself!!)  and modify
GetNum as follows:

{--------------------------------------------------------------}
{ Get a Number }

function GetNum: integer;
begin
   if not IsDigit(Look) then Expected('Integer');
   GetNum := Ord(Look) - Ord('0');
   GetChar;
end;
{--------------------------------------------------------------}

Now, write the following version of Expression:

{---------------------------------------------------------------}
{ Parse and Translate an Expression }

function Expression: integer;
begin
   Expression := GetNum;
end;
{--------------------------------------------------------------}

Finally, insert the statement

   Writeln(Expression);

at the end of the main program.  Now compile and test.

All this program  does  is  to  "parse"  and  translate  a single
integer  "expression."    As always, you should make sure that it
does that with the digits 0..9, and gives an  error  message  for
anything else.  Shouldn't take you very long!

OK, now let's extend this to include addops.    Change Expression
to read:

{---------------------------------------------------------------}
{ Parse and Translate an Expression }

function Expression: integer;
var Value: integer;
begin
   if IsAddop(Look) then
      Value := 0
   else
      Value := GetNum;
   while IsAddop(Look) do begin
      case Look of
       '+': begin
               Match('+');
               Value := Value + GetNum;
            end;
       '-': begin
               Match('-');
               Value := Value - GetNum;
            end;
      end;
   end;
   Expression := Value;
end;
{--------------------------------------------------------------}

The structure of Expression, of  course,  parallels  what  we did
before,  so  we  shouldn't have too much  trouble  debugging  it.
There's  been  a  SIGNIFICANT  development, though, hasn't there?
Procedures Add and Subtract went away!  The reason  is  that  the
action to be taken  requires  BOTH arguments of the operation.  I
could have chosen to retain the procedures and pass into them the
value of the expression to date,  which  is Value.  But it seemed
cleaner to me to  keep  Value as strictly a local variable, which
meant that the code for Add and Subtract had to be moved in line.
This result suggests  that,  while the structure we had developed
was nice and  clean  for our simple-minded translation scheme, it
probably  wouldn't do for use with lazy  evaluation.    That's  a
little tidbit we'll probably want to keep in mind for later.

OK,  did the translator work?  Then let's  take  the  next  step.
It's not hard to  figure  out what procedure Term should now look
like.  Change every call to GetNum in function  Expression  to  a
call to Term, and then enter the following form for Term:

{---------------------------------------------------------------}
{ Parse and Translate a Math Term }

function Term: integer;
var Value: integer;
begin
   Value := GetNum;
   while Look in ['*', '/'] do begin
      case Look of
       '*': begin
               Match('*');
               Value := Value * GetNum;
            end;
       '/': begin
               Match('/');
               Value := Value div GetNum;
            end;
      end;
   end;
   Term := Value;
end;
{--------------------------------------------------------------}

Now, try it out.    Don't forget two things: first, we're dealing
with integer division, so, for example, 1/3 should come out zero.
Second, even  though we can output multi-digit results, our input
is still restricted to single digits.

That seems like a silly restriction at this point, since  we have
already  seen how easily function GetNum can  be  extended.    So
let's go ahead and fix it right now.  The new version is

{--------------------------------------------------------------}
{ Get a Number }

function GetNum: integer;
var Value: integer;
begin
   Value := 0;
   if not IsDigit(Look) then Expected('Integer');
   while IsDigit(Look) do begin
      Value := 10 * Value + Ord(Look) - Ord('0');
      GetChar;
   end;
   GetNum := Value;
end;
{--------------------------------------------------------------}

If you've compiled and  tested  this  version of the interpreter,
the  next  step  is to install function Factor, complete with pa-
renthesized  expressions.  We'll hold off a  bit  longer  on  the
variable  names.    First, change the references  to  GetNum,  in
function Term, so that they call Factor instead.   Now  code  the
following version of Factor:

{---------------------------------------------------------------}
{ Parse and Translate a Math Factor }

function Expression: integer; Forward;

function Factor: integer;
begin
   if Look = '(' then begin
      Match('(');
      Factor := Expression;
      Match(')');
      end
   else
       Factor := GetNum;
end;
{---------------------------------------------------------------}

That was pretty easy, huh?  We're rapidly closing in on  a useful
interpreter.

A LITTLE PHILOSOPHY

Before going any further, there's something I'd like  to  call to
your attention.  It's a concept that we've been making use  of in
all these sessions, but I haven't explicitly mentioned it up till
now.  I think it's time, because it's a concept so useful, and so
powerful,  that  it  makes all the difference  between  a  parser
that's trivially easy, and one that's too complex to deal with.

In the early days of compiler technology, people  had  a terrible
time  figuring  out  how to deal with things like operator prece-
dence  ...  the  way  that  multiply  and  divide operators  take
precedence over add and subtract, etc.  I remember a colleague of
some  thirty years ago, and how excited he was to find out how to
do it.  The technique used involved building two  stacks,    upon
which you pushed each operator  or operand.  Associated with each
operator was a precedence level,  and the rules required that you
only actually performed an operation  ("reducing"  the  stack) if
the precedence level showing on top of the stack was correct.  To
make life more interesting,  an  operator  like ')' had different
precedence levels, depending  upon  whether or not it was already
on the stack.  You  had to give it one value before you put it on
the stack, and another to decide when to take it  off.   Just for
the experience, I worked all of  this  out for myself a few years
ago, and I can tell you that it's very tricky.

We haven't  had  to  do  anything like that.  In fact, by now the
parsing of an arithmetic statement should seem like child's play.
How did we get so lucky?  And where did the precedence stacks go?

A similar thing is going on  in  our interpreter above.  You just
KNOW that in  order  for  it  to do the computation of arithmetic
statements (as opposed to the parsing of them), there have  to be
numbers pushed onto a stack somewhere.  But where is the stack?

Finally,  in compiler textbooks, there are  a  number  of  places
where  stacks  and  other structures are discussed.  In the other
leading parsing method (LR), an explicit stack is used.  In fact,
the technique is very  much  like the old way of doing arithmetic
expressions.  Another concept  is  that of a parse tree.  Authors
like to draw diagrams  of  the  tokens  in a statement, connected
into a tree with  operators  at the internal nodes.  Again, where
are the trees and stacks in our technique?  We haven't seen any.
The answer in all cases is that the structures are  implicit, not
explicit.    In  any computer language, there is a stack involved
every  time  you  call  a  subroutine.  Whenever a subroutine  is
called, the return address is pushed onto the CPU stack.   At the
end of the subroutine, the address is popped back off and control
is  transferred  there.   In a recursive language such as Pascal,
there can also be local data pushed onto the stack, and  it, too,
returns when it's needed.

For example,  function  Expression  contains  a  local  parameter
called  Value, which it fills by a call to Term.  Suppose, in its
next call to  Term  for  the  second  argument,  that  Term calls
Factor, which recursively  calls  Expression  again.    That "in-
stance" of Expression gets another value for its  copy  of Value.
What happens  to  the  first  Value?    Answer: it's still on the
stack, and  will  be  there  again  when  we return from our call
sequence.

In other words, the reason things look so simple  is  that  we've
been making maximum use of the resources of the  language.    The
hierarchy levels  and  the  parse trees are there, all right, but
they're hidden within the  structure  of  the parser, and they're
taken care of by the order with which the various  procedures are
called.  Now that you've seen how we do it, it's probably hard to
imagine doing it  any other way.  But I can tell you that it took
a lot of years for compiler writers to get that smart.  The early
compilers were too complex  too  imagine.    Funny how things get
easier with a little practice.

The reason  I've  brought  all  this up is as both a lesson and a
warning.  The lesson: things can be easy when you do  them right.
The warning: take a look at what you're doing.  If, as you branch
out on  your  own,  you  begin to find a real need for a separate
stack or tree structure, it may be time to ask yourself if you're
looking at things the right way.  Maybe you just aren't using the
facilities of the language as well as you could be.

The next step is to add variable names.  Now,  though,  we have a
slight problem.  For  the  compiler, we had no problem in dealing
with variable names ... we just issued the names to the assembler
and let the rest  of  the program take care of allocating storage
for  them.  Here, on the other hand, we need to be able to  fetch
the values of the variables and return them as the  return values
of Factor.  We need a storage mechanism for these variables.

Back in the early days of personal computing,  Tiny  BASIC lived.
It had  a  grand  total  of  26  possible variables: one for each
letter of the  alphabet.    This  fits nicely with our concept of
single-character tokens, so we'll  try  the  same  trick.  In the
beginning of your  interpreter,  just  after  the  declaration of
variable Look, insert the line:

               Table: Array['A'..'Z'] of integer;

We also need to initialize the array, so add this procedure:

{---------------------------------------------------------------}
{ Initialize the Variable Area }

procedure InitTable;
var i: char;
begin
   for i := 'A' to 'Z' do
      Table[i] := 0;
end;
{---------------------------------------------------------------}

You must also insert a call to InitTable, in procedure Init.
DON'T FORGET to do that, or the results may surprise you!

Now that we have an array  of  variables, we can modify Factor to
use it.  Since we don't have a way (so far) to set the variables,
Factor  will always return zero values for  them,  but  let's  go
ahead and extend it anyway.  Here's the new version:

{---------------------------------------------------------------}
{ Parse and Translate a Math Factor }

function Expression: integer; Forward;

function Factor: integer;
begin
   if Look = '(' then begin
      Match('(');
      Factor := Expression;
      Match(')');
      end
   else if IsAlpha(Look) then
      Factor := Table[GetName]
   else
       Factor := GetNum;
end;
{---------------------------------------------------------------}

As always, compile and test this version of the  program.    Even
though all the variables are now zeros, at least we can correctly
parse the complete expressions, as well as catch any badly formed
expressions.

I suppose you realize the next step: we need to do  an assignment
statement so we can  put  something INTO the variables.  For now,
let's  stick  to  one-liners,  though  we will soon  be  handling
multiple statements.

The assignment statement parallels what we did before:

{--------------------------------------------------------------}
{ Parse and Translate an Assignment Statement }

procedure Assignment;
var Name: char;
begin
   Name := GetName;
   Match('=');
   Table[Name] := Expression;
end;
{--------------------------------------------------------------}

To test this,  I  added  a  temporary write statement in the main
program,  to  print out the value of A.  Then I  tested  it  with
various assignments to it.

Of course, an interpretive language that can only accept a single
line of program  is not of much value.  So we're going to want to
handle multiple statements.  This  merely  means  putting  a loop
around  the  call  to Assignment.  So let's do that now. But what
should be the loop exit criterion?  Glad you  asked,  because  it
brings up a point we've been able to ignore up till now.

One of the most tricky things  to  handle in any translator is to
determine when to bail out of  a  given construct and go look for
something else.  This hasn't been a problem for us so far because
we've only allowed for  a  single kind of construct ... either an
expression  or an assignment statement.   When  we  start  adding
loops and different kinds of statements, you'll find that we have
to be very careful that things terminate properly.  If we put our
interpreter in a loop, we need a way to quit.    Terminating on a
newline is no good, because that's what sends us back for another
line.  We could always let an unrecognized character take us out,
but that would cause every run to end in an error  message, which
certainly seems uncool.

What we need  is  a  termination  character.  I vote for Pascal's
ending period ('.').   A  minor  complication  is that Turbo ends
every normal line  with  TWO characters, the carriage return (CR)
and line feed (LF).   At  the  end  of  each line, we need to eat
these characters before processing the next one.   A  natural way
to do this would  be  with  procedure  Match, except that Match's
error  message  prints  the character, which of course for the CR
and/or  LF won't look so great.  What we need is a special proce-
dure for this, which we'll no doubt be using over and over.  Here
it is:

{--------------------------------------------------------------}
{ Recognize and Skip Over a Newline }

procedure NewLine;
begin
   if Look = CR then begin
      GetChar;
      if Look = LF then
         GetChar;
   end;
end;
{--------------------------------------------------------------}

Insert this procedure at any convenient spot ... I put  mine just
after Match.  Now, rewrite the main program to look like this:

{--------------------------------------------------------------}
{ Main Program }

begin
   Init;
   repeat
      Assignment;
      NewLine;
   until Look = '.';
end.
{--------------------------------------------------------------}

Note that the  test for a CR is now gone, and that there are also
no  error tests within NewLine itself.   That's  OK,  though  ...
whatever is left over in terms of bogus characters will be caught
at the beginning of the next assignment statement.

Well, we now have a functioning interpreter.  It doesn't do  us a
lot of  good,  however,  since  we have no way to read data in or
write it out.  Sure would help to have some I/O!

Let's wrap this session  up,  then,  by  adding the I/O routines.
Since we're  sticking to single-character tokens, I'll use '?' to
stand for a read statement, and  '!'  for a write, with the char-
acter  immediately  following  them  to  be used as  a  one-token
"parameter list."  Here are the routines:

{--------------------------------------------------------------}
{ Input Routine }

procedure Input;
begin
   Match('?');
   Read(Table[GetName]);
end;

{--------------------------------------------------------------}
{ Output Routine }

procedure Output;
begin
   Match('!');
   WriteLn(Table[GetName]);
end;
{--------------------------------------------------------------}

They aren't very fancy, I admit ... no prompt character on input,
for example ... but they get the job done.

The corresponding changes in  the  main  program are shown below.
Note that we use the usual  trick  of a case statement based upon
the current lookahead character, to decide what to do.

{--------------------------------------------------------------}
{ Main Program }

begin
   Init;
   repeat
      case Look of
       '?': Input;
       '!': Output;
       else Assignment;
      end;
      NewLine;
   until Look = '.';
end.
{--------------------------------------------------------------}

You have now completed a  real, working interpreter.  It's pretty
sparse, but it works just like the "big boys."  It includes three
kinds of program statements  (and  can  tell the difference!), 26
variables,  and  I/O  statements.  The only things that it lacks,
really, are control statements,  subroutines,    and some kind of
program editing function.  The program editing part, I'm going to
pass on.  After all, we're  not  here  to build a product, but to
learn  things.    The control statements, we'll cover in the next
installment, and the subroutines soon  after.  I'm anxious to get
on with that, so we'll leave the interpreter as it stands.

I hope that by  now  you're convinced that the limitation of sin-
gle-character names  and the processing of white space are easily
taken  care  of, as we did in the last session.   This  time,  if
you'd like to play around with these extensions, be my  guest ...
they're  "left as an exercise for the student."    See  you  next
time.

*                                                               *
*                        COPYRIGHT NOTICE                       *
*                                                               *

--
--/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc#ix,netcom.com /*\--
--/*\ Mud Server Developer's Page &lt;<A  HREF="http://www.netcom.com/~jlsysinc">http://www.netcom.com/~jlsysinc</A>&gt; /*\--

</PRE>

<!--X-Body-of-Message-End-->
<!--X-MsgBody-End-->