<!--X-TopPNI-->

Date:&nbsp;
[&nbsp;<a href="msg00548.html">Previous</a>
&nbsp;|&nbsp;<a href="msg00550.html">Next</a>
&nbsp;]
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Thread:&nbsp;
[&nbsp;<a href="msg01056.html">Previous</a>
&nbsp;|&nbsp;<a href="msg00548.html">Next</a>
&nbsp;]
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Index:&nbsp;
[&nbsp;<A HREF="author.html#00549">Author</A>
&nbsp;|&nbsp;<A HREF="#00549">Date</A>
&nbsp;|&nbsp;<A HREF="thread.html#00549">Thread</A>
&nbsp;]

<!--X-TopPNI-End-->
<!--X-MsgBody-->
<!--X-Subject-Header-Begin-->
<H1>[MUD-Dev] Black Isle's Baldur's Gate</H1>
<HR>
<!--X-Subject-Header-End-->
<!--X-Head-of-Message-->
<UL>
<LI><em>To</em>: <A HREF="mailto:mud-dev#kanga,nu">mud-dev#kanga,nu</A></LI>
<LI><em>Subject</em>: [MUD-Dev] Black Isle's Baldur's Gate</LI>
<LI><em>From</em>: J C Lawrence &lt;<A HREF="mailto:claw#under,engr.sgi.com">claw#under,engr.sgi.com</A>&gt;</LI>
<LI><em>Date</em>: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 18:52:41 -0700</LI>
<LI><em>Reply-To</em>: <A HREF="mailto:mud-dev#kanga,nu">mud-dev#kanga,nu</A></LI>
</UL>
<!--X-Head-of-Message-End-->
<!--X-Head-Body-Sep-Begin-->
<HR>
<!--X-Head-Body-Sep-End-->
<!--X-Body-of-Message-->
<PRE>

Black Isle appears to be doing a multi-player RPG:

  <A  HREF="http://www.interplay.com/bgate/index.html">http://www.interplay.com/bgate/index.html</A>

Which supports up to 5 simultaneous players per the FAQ at:

  <A  HREF="http://www.interplay.com/bgate/mb.html">http://www.interplay.com/bgate/mb.html</A>

Also per the FAQ they are doing a very literal model of the TSR AD&amp;D
rules.  &lt;kof&gt;  Also from the FAQ:

--&lt;cut&gt;--

Q: Do you have to manage things like eating (rations) and such?

A: No, there is no ration management. We thought this was kind of
mundane - Baldur's Gate is epic and heroic. You don't have to worry
about going to the bathroom either (your characters are smart enough
to do that when you aren't looking.)

--&lt;cut&gt;--

(there goes SimAD&amp;D).  and:

--&lt;cut&gt;--

Q: Do actions not in accordance with my alignment have any effects?

A: There will be a "reputation" for your characters as well as an
alignment. Alignment per se doesn't change anything, since no one
knows what your specific alignment is. However, you will get more or
less experience points and the others in your party will react
differently to each other depending upon the alignment breakdown of
the party, how it corresponds with the reputation you've built up, and
the initial alignment you chose at the start of the game.  Reputation
is something you build during the course of an adventure, and it will
generally parallel your alignment. It represents how much people know
of your previous history of choices - and guards may react differently
to you in the next town you visit!

--&lt;cut&gt;--

Nothing like partial omniscience by NPC's.  And:

--&lt;cut&gt;--

Q: How much control do I have over my NPCs?

A: All NPCs have their own AI scripting, outlining their basic
reactions to basic situations. At anytime, the player may "override"
what the NPC is currently doing. AI may be turned off or on at
will. The scripts can be modified to some extent; they help create a
NPCs personality and adds to the immersion level of the game. There
will be several levels of scripting available. We want to allow
players to be able to modify scripts not at all (the scripts that come
with NPCs should be quite adequate), a little (e.g. load in cautious
mage, aggressive fighter, etc.), or a lot (e.g. if enemy gibberling
sighted then cast magic missile at it). It will be up to the
individual player to decide how much to tinker with AI on his or her
party members.

--&lt;cut&gt;--

(Sounds rule based?)  And:

--&lt;cut&gt;--

Q: Will critical hits be in the combat system?

A: Absolutely! Not only are they calculated, they are graphically
displayed with blood and gore! Of course, the level of graphic
violence will be adjustable to allow people of all ages to enjoy
the game.

--&lt;cut&gt;--

Insta-kill?  And:

--&lt;cut&gt;--

Q: Is Baldur's Gate going to be multiplayer?

A: Yes. The multiplayer and single-player games are actually based on
the exact same story. The whole point of all of this is that we want
to capture the feel of the old AD&amp;D adventures, where you entered a
campaign world with friends and adventured! The multiplayer game that
we are creating is a simulation of the old AD&amp;D sessions of our youth.
People can "join" the adventuring party (up to six people per game) by
taking over one of the NPCs and if they have to go for supper the
party can either stop or continue (with an NPC AI back in the
character). We are not creating a "story-less" multiplayer game, we
are creating a complex story-based RPG that can be played either
single player or multiplayer.

Q: How many people can play Baldur's Gate multiplayer?